Thursday, August 23, 2012

Starting School

Monday morning marked the beginning of a whole new chapter for us...two girls starting a school that is not at home, and SJ proudly taking her role as an official Kindergartner! The decision to send AG and LL to the local Classical Christian school was not easy, but it was made back in February, so we have gotten used to the idea. I was not sure, however, how it would all play out, and throughout the process of preparing, from the buying of school supplies and uniforms to the making sandwiches the night before, it seemed so strange...a mixed bag of excitement, disbelief, relief, happiness, sadness, and anticipation. Only a few comments from LL and difficulty from AG going to sleep Sunday night showed that they felt anything but excitement, but Monday morning came and they got up and dressed and I drove them to school and they happily bid me farewell and none of us shed any tears! I was so eager to pick them up that afternoon and hear all about their first day, and thankfully the report was all good! So glad they had a good first day, especially since LL came down with a fever that night and missed Day 2. That day AG came home happy, despite having received "a fraction" that day for not having her assignment book signed by a parent (my bad!). LL was ready to go back Wednesday and both she and AG came home upbeat. I expect we will all learn alot this year. They will have experiences and challenges we have not faced with them at home, and we pray for much growth and strength of character to come through those. I will reorient myself during the daytime hours and truly appreciate time with the younger 3 while entrusting AG and LL to the great teachers and curriculum of their school, and enjoy just being their mom for a while. Here they are setting out from home:
And back at home...SJ got up and ready for her first day of CC and officially starting school at home. She has been asking me to start Math with her for months, so she was thrilled to have her first real lesson. And this morning she said to me, "Mom, you always said AG and LL should do math first...why don't you say that to me?" I am so thankful for her sweet eagerness about it all, and her being the "big sister" to her little brothers throughout the day.
More to come!

No comments: