Thursday, September 06, 2007

What a Day!

We had a very exciting day! Here's what LL thought about it:Actually, after I took this she said, "Like a tiger!" She is very into animals and their noises these days and asks T all the time to "do the elephant." However, when he does his elephant impression, she immediately starts backing away from him and saying, "No, Daddy!" with a mixture of terror and delight, and as soon as he stops she asks him to do it again. Anyway, back to our big day...

We all got up and moving early this morning because it was AG's first day of preschool! We have been talking about this all summer and yesterday we went to orientation and she met both her teachers, saw her classroom, the playground, the snackroom, etc., so as I drove her there I was hopeful that she was ready to jump right in. And she was! Here she is just before we got there:

She hopped out of the van and I did manage to give her a hug before she bopped away with one of her teachers to the playground. And although I had at least considered that tears might be shed at this moment, I didn't expect that they might be mine instead of hers... but seeing her walk away carrying her little backpack and into a whole new stage of life was bittersweet! I sat at the stoplight and watched her through tears as she walked out onto the playground and climbed the ladder into the "treehouse," and I felt excited and proud, but I also couldn't help but think, "Who will help her get down?" It is strange to know she is now going to be having 9 hours of activity each week that I don't have a constant window into. It is even stranger to be entrusting her to people I don't know very well. I guess this is the first of many parental "leaps of faith" that will be taken through the years... we pray and trust it will be a wonderful experience for her, and if today was any indicator, it will be. I picked her up 3 hours later with a smile on her face and a neat painted picture in her backpack. She told me the names of some of her classmates, that she had cookies for a snack, and showed me how she learned to sit "criss cross applesauce." She is growing up!
AG holding SJ...just one of her new favorite things to do!
Showing off her sassy "first day of school" skirt!

One other fun story: Tonight Trey was reading from the creation narrative in Genesis. He was at the part where God created the sun and moon and asked AG, "What gives us light in the day?" to which she answered, "The sun." Then he asked, "And what gives us light at night?" Her answer came right back, "A flashlight." Of course!

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I almost cried when I read about AG's first day of school... We may be experiencing that next year with Aubrey and I am sure I'll feel the same way.